OETI is very proud to introduce its customer Conceria Centomo Srl – a leather tannery, situated in the Chiampo Valley, which produces finished leathers (full grain and suede). Conceria Centomo is a family run business and only the second company within the entire OEKO-TEX® family – and the first in Italy – to receive the STeP by OEKO-TEX® certification for its leather production.
In an interview Emanuela Centomo told OETI how the LEATHER STANDARD by OEKO-TEX® and STeP by OEKO-TEX® certifications helps the company to continuously improve its production processes and thus providing best possible product quality to its customers.
1. What are your philosophy and strategy for sustainable production?
Our philosophy has always been to offer products and services that fully satisfy the customer and at the same time fully respect people and the environment.
In addition, our corporate strategy is always to look for new production
processes. We pay close attention to incorporating new components from
suppliers that help pursue and achieve our goals.
STeP by OEKO-TEX®
2. What are your reasons for becoming STeP by OEKO-TEX® certified?
Since we got certified with the LEATHER STANDARD by OEKO-TEX® for our leather products in 2019, we also wanted to communicate to our customers the sustainability of our production by implementing STeP by OEKO-TEX®. This way we can give two securities - one for our products and one for our production site.
It has been a challenge for us to become the first Italian tannery to get the STeP certification.
2.a. What are the advantages for you?
We wanted to make our production processes more transparent and continuously improve in the areas of environment, social, quality, health and safety with the help of the STeP requirements. This allows us to offer our customers the best possible and most up-to-date products they can get from our tannery.
3. What were the challenges in getting your facility STeP by OEKO-TEX® certified?
Since our production building is already getting on in years, we had to adapt it to the STeP requirements. We also had to standardise the production process to make it more transparent and to regulate it internally. These points were a big issue and a change for our company.
3. a. What were your impressions of the implementation of the STeP by OEKO-TEX® certification process?
It is a useful system; it allows us to have more control of the production and it helps us to focus our mission on sustainability and on lowering our impact on the environment.
3. b. Regarding the individual modules: In which module were you already well positioned? On which module did you need to work more?
We were well positioned in the health & safety and social responsibility modules, but needed to improve on chemical management, environmental performance, and environmental management.
4. Please cite some examples on the best practices being adopted in your facility for better chemicals’ management
We have introduced a database to control quantities and stocks of chemicals. Thanks to STeP we are considering using a special management system that also controls the recipes.
5. How do you comment on STeP by OEKO-TEX® compared to other industry assessment tools?
We don’t have other certifications. We opted for STeP, because it seemed to us the most complete certification system. In a further step we are planning to implement the MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® label.
Moreover, we applied now for the LEATHER WORKING GROUP (LWG) membership.
6. What innovative technologies are installed in your facilities to enhance production efficiency, save resources, reduce consumption, encourage circularity, and reduce costs? Do you set any reduction target for your facility?
Having undergone the STeP certification process we are ready right now to improve on our mission and to set new goals to become more sustainable. We clearly need to reset our automatic system of retanning and dyeing leathers and we are already working on this issue. Plus, we are ready to set further goals for the future.
LEATHER STANDARD by OEKO-TEX®
7. What made you decide to have your products tested for harmful substances, i.e. certified according to LEATHER STANDARD by OEKO-TEX®?
We have known OEKO-TEX® for a long time and we were very pleased to finally get the chance to obtain the LEATHER STANDARD by OEKO-TEX® certification in 2019.
There are various regulations that must be followed when exporting our products, including tests that must be carried out before some of these products can be exported.
With the LEATHER STANDARD certification, we have solved most of these problems. Unfortunately, there are still some brands/companies that only accept their own tests carried out in their own laboratories.
7.a. What are the advantages of the OEKO-TEX® product certification?
We can offer our customers products that fulfil the requirements of LEATHER STANDARD by OEKO-TEX®, which is a globally standardized, independent testing and certification system. This makes us more confident when we present and sell our products.
8. How do you comment on your experience in working with OETI in this STeP by OEKO-TEX® certification and MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® label?
OETI has been very helpful throughout the whole certification process, giving us advice and supporting us at every level of the various challenges we have faced. Plus, we know we can always ask them any questions we may have. We would like to thank the whole OETI team!
Company information - Informazioni sull’azienda:
- Name/Denominazione: Conceria Centomo Srl
- Country/Paese: Italy
- Webpage: www.centomo.it
Further details – altri dettagli:
- Locations – Ubicazione Via Arzignano 5d, Chiampo, 36072
- number of employees – n° di collaborator 16
- facility size and type – small-medium sized Tannery -
- products – prodotti: finished leathers (full grain and suede)
PROVEN SINCE 1846
© 2021 OETI - Institut fuer Oekologie, Technik und Innovation GmbH. All rights reserved.